Five minutes ago, I had no idea who J. Mars was; after listening to his first Booth feature, however, I’m feeling inspired to raise a coffee cup to the Delaware rhymesayer. (Hey, 1:00 in the afternoon is a little early for champagne.) A new single and standout cut off his forthcoming street album, Toast Music is every bit as upbeat and triumphant as the title suggests, with Zagga (of EuroStarz) flipping a lush, saxophone-laced sample as the unsigned up-and-comer drops fast-paced, expertly-flowed verses centered around his lofty professional ambitions. In between touting his artistic individuality (“I’m like a piece from a different puzzle, I don’t wanna fit in.”) and brushing off the haters ( “They ain’t in the game like the 12th man.”), Mars finds time to slip in some sly social commentary, musing, “N*gga don’t you find it just a little ironic after centuries of bondage all we want is some whips and chains?” Has this exultant jam left your interest piqued? If so, you can look forward to more fresh tunes on Mars’ The Reservation LP, scheduled for release this Saturday, February 4.
Written by richard on 02/2/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Diamond Shamballas" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.