Five minutes ago, I had no idea who J. Mars was; after listening to his first Booth feature, however, I’m feeling inspired to raise a coffee cup to the Delaware rhymesayer. (Hey, 1:00 in the afternoon is a little early for champagne.) A new single and standout cut off his forthcoming street album, Toast Music is every bit as upbeat and triumphant as the title suggests, with Zagga (of EuroStarz) flipping a lush, saxophone-laced sample as the unsigned up-and-comer drops fast-paced, expertly-flowed verses centered around his lofty professional ambitions. In between touting his artistic individuality (“I’m like a piece from a different puzzle, I don’t wanna fit in.”) and brushing off the haters ( “They ain’t in the game like the 12th man.”), Mars finds time to slip in some sly social commentary, musing, “N*gga don’t you find it just a little ironic after centuries of bondage all we want is some whips and chains?” Has this exultant jam left your interest piqued? If so, you can look forward to more fresh tunes on Mars’ The Reservation LP, scheduled for release this Saturday, February 4.
Written by richard on 02/2/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Black Diamond Shamballas" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.