It’s hard to believe that St. Louis rapper J-Kwon first arrived on the scene four years ago. His debut single, Tipsy, invaded every club and house party across the world and helped the Missouri-native reach gold certification on his introductory album, Hood Hop. Following his initial success, Kwon revealed to DJBooth that he received a label deal for Hood Hop Entertainment through his parent company, Jive Records. Although shortly after releasing a collaboration with MTV’s Andy Milonakis, and receiving little promotion towards his sophomore album Louisville Slugger, J-Kwon and his project were dropped from the label. Now independent and ready to make ’08 his return into the game, we are treated to the radio-ready Boo Boo (Holding Me Down), performed, composed and produced all by the man himself. Does J-Kwon have what it takes to start the climb back towards to top of the mountain?
Written by DJ Z on 12/27/07
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who U Talkin To?" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.