It’s hard to believe that St. Louis rapper J-Kwon first arrived on the scene four years ago. His debut single, Tipsy, invaded every club and house party across the world and helped the Missouri-native reach gold certification on his introductory album, Hood Hop. Following his initial success, Kwon revealed to DJBooth that he received a label deal for Hood Hop Entertainment through his parent company, Jive Records. Although shortly after releasing a collaboration with MTV’s Andy Milonakis, and receiving little promotion towards his sophomore album Louisville Slugger, J-Kwon and his project were dropped from the label. Now independent and ready to make ’08 his return into the game, we are treated to the radio-ready Boo Boo (Holding Me Down), performed, composed and produced all by the man himself. Does J-Kwon have what it takes to start the climb back towards to top of the mountain?
Written by DJ Z on 12/27/07
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who U Talkin To?" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)