No musician wants to leave a label, and if they do they want it to be on their own terms. In rapper J-Kwon‘s case however, getting dropped from Jive Records has been a blessing in disguise; his newfound independence will give the St. Louis-native a platform to take charge of his career. To help complement the hit potential of Boo Boo (Holding Me Down), the 21-year old MC/label boss/songwriter/producer gives a shout out to his home city with the area code reppin’, 314. Although his verses sound swagger-jacked from Lil’ Wayne, right down to the “ya dig’s,” Kwon shines on the production side and that should make 314 a sure-shot-spinner at the club. It’s got to feel good not to need that fake ID anymore…
Written by Burmy on 01/3/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who U Talkin To?" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.