No musician wants to leave a label, and if they do they want it to be on their own terms. In rapper J-Kwon‘s case however, getting dropped from Jive Records has been a blessing in disguise; his newfound independence will give the St. Louis-native a platform to take charge of his career. To help complement the hit potential of Boo Boo (Holding Me Down), the 21-year old MC/label boss/songwriter/producer gives a shout out to his home city with the area code reppin’, 314. Although his verses sound swagger-jacked from Lil’ Wayne, right down to the “ya dig’s,” Kwon shines on the production side and that should make 314 a sure-shot-spinner at the club. It’s got to feel good not to need that fake ID anymore…
Written by Burmy on 01/3/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Who U Talkin To?" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.