Booth newcomer J-Hop may see himself as the leader of hip-hop’s New Wave, but his movement is firmly rooted in the fundamentals. In fact, even the most discerning of old-school heads should be able to appreciate the gimmick-free beats and rhymes displayed on the Missouri native’s debut feature. Lee Bannon‘s mimimal, atmospheric sample work backs the rhymesayer as he announces his arrival on the scene in blasé, yet bruising verses. In addition to serving those sleeping on him a steaming cup of Folgers, he aims some harsh words at emcees of his generation, urging them to lose the “basic A B flows” and elevate their game. This loosie is unattached to any larger project, but those who like what they’re hearing can keep it locked for all the latest from this ambitious Midwestern upstart.
Written by richard on 08/12/13
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.