I know what you’re thinking – oh no, not another bedroom burner from J. Holiday. I’ve got enough babies running around my house as is. Don’t worry my sex-exhausted friends, this is much More Than a Love Song. Instead of a lovely lady, the object of Holiday’s attention is that green, that sticky icky, that OG Kush, that….you get the point. Production duo MilknSizz & Anomoly lay down a pounding, string heavy beat that would sound right at home on your usual love song, and while Holiday’s vocals are are smooth as ever, here he reveals a perhaps previously unknown lyrical depth, not only laying down his THC-dreams but getting downright political on the hook with a Donny Hathaway, Little Ghetto Boy reference. Driving home that socially conscious angle ever harder is DMV emcee Black Cobain, who lays down lines like, “Where’s the politicians, where they at / why the projects all black?” Before this we hadn’t heard from Holiday since his ‘09 album Round 2; hopefully this is the catalyst to a comeback project for the new Def Jam signee – the world could use more love songs.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/29/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.