Typically, listeners wait until a song’s finished before clapping. And that’s if you’re at a live show; if you’re sitting at your desk at home like yours truly, giving your computer speakers applause is generally not necessary (and it’ll probably startle your cat). Never one to follow conventions, however, Booth newcomer J Gunn demands listeners “Applaud Me both during and after his latest single. Even if you do comply, though, don’t make too much noise—you might miss something. Like the alliteration that packs the Carolina repper’s bars (“Spit as sick as syphilis, you are insignificant, specifically speakin’ to the peeps who wasn’t listenin’”), or the tuneful flute accents running through Exquinox Productions’ head-noddable, break-driven groove. No less worthy of applause are the record’s guest contributors: East Coast vet (and Gunn’s Dubose Music Group supervisor) MC Lyte showcases her time-tested rhyme skills on a dope middle verse, and singer Brandon Pierre keeps the momentum up with a catchy, multilayered chorus. If you’re inspired to put your hands together after listening to this joint, then you’ll doubtless find more to enjoy on Gunn’s Faithful Struggle LP, scheduled to drop in October.
Written by richard on 09/1/11
Submit your Rating
Red Eye Lifestyle
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Golden Age" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.