If J. Good‘s Booth debut, the breezy Cali So(u)l, wasn’t enough to convince you to regard the Cali up-and-comer as a master of warm-weather music, perhaps the second time will prove to be the charm: on current single Rolling Stone, Good once again puts together all the necessary pieces for a killer late-spring/early-summer banger. Nefarious provides the blissfully mellow production work, flipping an understated soul sample as the emcee lets his mind wander, waxing poetic about a wide variety of topics. In lyrically-dense bars, J. affirms his drive to succeed and his commitment to classic hip-hop culture (“...an old soul, my spirit is high-tops and gold ropes.”), before taking a look back at his formative years as a project youth (“...speaking on our days on section 8 / Let the lesson say we got stronger the less we ate.”). Through it all, he maintains an unflappably chill delivery that makes for perfect vibe-out material. For more mellow tunes to soundtrack the sunny days ahead, check out Good’s Look on the Brightside mixtape, released in late March and available now online.
Written by richard on 04/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali So(u)l" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.