If J. Good‘s Booth debut, the breezy Cali So(u)l, wasn’t enough to convince you to regard the Cali up-and-comer as a master of warm-weather music, perhaps the second time will prove to be the charm: on current single Rolling Stone, Good once again puts together all the necessary pieces for a killer late-spring/early-summer banger. Nefarious provides the blissfully mellow production work, flipping an understated soul sample as the emcee lets his mind wander, waxing poetic about a wide variety of topics. In lyrically-dense bars, J. affirms his drive to succeed and his commitment to classic hip-hop culture (“...an old soul, my spirit is high-tops and gold ropes.”), before taking a look back at his formative years as a project youth (“...speaking on our days on section 8 / Let the lesson say we got stronger the less we ate.”). Through it all, he maintains an unflappably chill delivery that makes for perfect vibe-out material. For more mellow tunes to soundtrack the sunny days ahead, check out Good’s Look on the Brightside mixtape, released in late March and available now online.
Written by richard on 04/28/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Cali So(u)l" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)