If you’re a hardcore hip-hop fan, you’ve already made up your mind to pick up a copy of Jay Stay Paid (out today), late production icon J Dilla‘s new, Booth-acclaimed LP. If you’re a really hardcore hip-hop fan, though, you’re doubtless going to pick it up on vinyl—and you’re going to receive a nice little bonus in the bargain. As you’d expect, vinyl-only bonus track Make It Fast boasts some stellar production; Dilla’s stark, reggae-sampling instrumental, backed by a relentless, subtly claustrophobic bell riff, has more to it thanmeets the ear. Guest emcees Bun B and Termanology tackle Dilla’s tense groove from two wildly different angles: the former keeps his opener relatively subdued, circling the beat with chilled-out intensity, while the latter brings a looser, more conversational energy to the track’s back end. Make It Fast is more prickly and less immediate than previously-featured single Reality TV, but if you’re a devoted enough Dilla fan to spring for the album in vinyl, you’ll undoubtedly appreciate this record’s intricate, slow-burning vibe.
Written by richard on 06/2/09
Submit your Rating
Yancey Media Group, LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Reality Check ft. Black Thought" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.