If you’re a hardcore hip-hop fan, you’ve already made up your mind to pick up a copy of Jay Stay Paid (out today), late production icon J Dilla‘s new, Booth-acclaimed LP. If you’re a really hardcore hip-hop fan, though, you’re doubtless going to pick it up on vinyl—and you’re going to receive a nice little bonus in the bargain. As you’d expect, vinyl-only bonus track Make It Fast boasts some stellar production; Dilla’s stark, reggae-sampling instrumental, backed by a relentless, subtly claustrophobic bell riff, has more to it thanmeets the ear. Guest emcees Bun B and Termanology tackle Dilla’s tense groove from two wildly different angles: the former keeps his opener relatively subdued, circling the beat with chilled-out intensity, while the latter brings a looser, more conversational energy to the track’s back end. Make It Fast is more prickly and less immediate than previously-featured single Reality TV, but if you’re a devoted enough Dilla fan to spring for the album in vinyl, you’ll undoubtedly appreciate this record’s intricate, slow-burning vibe.
Written by richard on 06/2/09
Submit your Rating
Yancey Media Group, LLC
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Reality Check ft. Black Thought" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.