After turning a lot of heads with the release of his debut album, Cole World : The Sideline Story last September, North Carolina representer, J.Cole brings us the video for the album’s quasi-title track, Sideline Story. On Story, Cole rhymes over a self-produced, smooth sounding beat which weaves together Ron Gilmore’s work on the piano and David Linaburg’s work on the guitar. On the mic, the Roc Nation star shows off his stellar lyricism and provides an anthem for all of us who have gotten splinters from sitting on the bench so long. Cole’s unprecedented style on the mic is evident throughout the song, with lines like “I put my heart and soul in this game, I’m feelin’ drained/ Unappreciated, unalleviated/ Want my whole name spelled out, my old pain spilled out,” and paired with deeply narrative visuals this is a must watch flick from the Grammy-nominated emcee. Cole World: The Sideline Story is available for purchase now in stores or via iTunes.
Written by Dillon White on 04/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.