After turning a lot of heads with the release of his debut album, Cole World : The Sideline Story last September, North Carolina representer, J.Cole brings us the video for the album’s quasi-title track, Sideline Story. On Story, Cole rhymes over a self-produced, smooth sounding beat which weaves together Ron Gilmore’s work on the piano and David Linaburg’s work on the guitar. On the mic, the Roc Nation star shows off his stellar lyricism and provides an anthem for all of us who have gotten splinters from sitting on the bench so long. Cole’s unprecedented style on the mic is evident throughout the song, with lines like “I put my heart and soul in this game, I’m feelin’ drained/ Unappreciated, unalleviated/ Want my whole name spelled out, my old pain spilled out,” and paired with deeply narrative visuals this is a must watch flick from the Grammy-nominated emcee. Cole World: The Sideline Story is available for purchase now in stores or via iTunes.
Written by Dillon White on 04/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.