After turning a lot of heads with the release of his debut album, Cole World : The Sideline Story last September, North Carolina representer, J.Cole brings us the video for the album’s quasi-title track, Sideline Story. On Story, Cole rhymes over a self-produced, smooth sounding beat which weaves together Ron Gilmore’s work on the piano and David Linaburg’s work on the guitar. On the mic, the Roc Nation star shows off his stellar lyricism and provides an anthem for all of us who have gotten splinters from sitting on the bench so long. Cole’s unprecedented style on the mic is evident throughout the song, with lines like “I put my heart and soul in this game, I’m feelin’ drained/ Unappreciated, unalleviated/ Want my whole name spelled out, my old pain spilled out,” and paired with deeply narrative visuals this is a must watch flick from the Grammy-nominated emcee. Cole World: The Sideline Story is available for purchase now in stores or via iTunes.
Written by Dillon White on 04/11/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.