For being in a position that countless others can merely dream of, heavyweight recording artists are surprisingly apt to feel sorry for themselves, using their position of power as a soapbox from which to vent about their frustrations with the game. J. Cole, for one, doesn’t want your Pity—as he acknowledges on his latest “FreEP” leak, there are plenty of others who need your attention much more urgently. Over a dusty, Chipmunk-sampled beat courtesy of Jersey rapper/producer (and freestyle series alumnus) Voli, the Roc Nation repper suggests a few appropriate targets for your love and assistance, from “that girl getting beat down by her ex-man” to “the boy that sees his mama on drugs.” Assisting on the guest tip, Omen brings a little positivity to the middle (“Mindstate of the victor, no victim, I’m a champion”), and Voli brings the cut home with a bleak, but resolute closing 16. Craving more? Any Given Sunday Vol. 1 hit the ‘net for free download yesterday, and fans can expect a new installment every Sunday leading up to the September 27, release of J.Cole’s debut set, Cole World: The Sideline Story.
Written by richard on 08/1/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.