For being in a position that countless others can merely dream of, heavyweight recording artists are surprisingly apt to feel sorry for themselves, using their position of power as a soapbox from which to vent about their frustrations with the game. J. Cole, for one, doesn’t want your Pity—as he acknowledges on his latest “FreEP” leak, there are plenty of others who need your attention much more urgently. Over a dusty, Chipmunk-sampled beat courtesy of Jersey rapper/producer (and freestyle series alumnus) Voli, the Roc Nation repper suggests a few appropriate targets for your love and assistance, from “that girl getting beat down by her ex-man” to “the boy that sees his mama on drugs.” Assisting on the guest tip, Omen brings a little positivity to the middle (“Mindstate of the victor, no victim, I’m a champion”), and Voli brings the cut home with a bleak, but resolute closing 16. Craving more? Any Given Sunday Vol. 1 hit the ‘net for free download yesterday, and fans can expect a new installment every Sunday leading up to the September 27, release of J.Cole’s debut set, Cole World: The Sideline Story.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.