For being in a position that countless others can merely dream of, heavyweight recording artists are surprisingly apt to feel sorry for themselves, using their position of power as a soapbox from which to vent about their frustrations with the game. J. Cole, for one, doesn’t want your Pity—as he acknowledges on his latest “FreEP” leak, there are plenty of others who need your attention much more urgently. Over a dusty, Chipmunk-sampled beat courtesy of Jersey rapper/producer (and freestyle series alumnus) Voli, the Roc Nation repper suggests a few appropriate targets for your love and assistance, from “that girl getting beat down by her ex-man” to “the boy that sees his mama on drugs.” Assisting on the guest tip, Omen brings a little positivity to the middle (“Mindstate of the victor, no victim, I’m a champion”), and Voli brings the cut home with a bleak, but resolute closing 16. Craving more? Any Given Sunday Vol. 1 hit the ‘net for free download yesterday, and fans can expect a new installment every Sunday leading up to the September 27, release of J.Cole’s debut set, Cole World: The Sideline Story.
Written by richard on 08/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.