J. Cole‘s freshman set may not have been flawless—few, if any, albums are—but, judging by the avalanche of five star-reviews in the Booth (not to mention the Gold certification), there were plenty of listeners willing to look past its minute flaws and see it for the brilliant piece of work it was. On the project’s latest single, the North Carolina spitter espouses a similar philosophy toward romantic love, assuring a special girl, “Nobody’s Perfect... but you’re perfect for me.” As usual, the Roc Nation standard-bearer handles production as well as mic duties, slicing and dicing a guitar riff from Curtis Mayfield instrumental Think into a tender yet bass-booming backdrop for rhymes dedicated to a girl he loves regardless of what the gossip-hounds might say (“I heard stories about different dudes, her man on campus, but it’s fine by me.”). Veteran emcee/songwriter/producer Missy Elliot plays the female lead, tying the record together with a cozy, understated chorus. Still haven’t picked up a copy of Cole’s latest full-length, Cole World: Sideline Story? Then drop whatever you’re doing and make a trip to your local record store—or, if you need further convincing, check out our very own Nathan S.’ review of the album.
Written by richard on 12/15/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.