J. Cole‘s freshman set may not have been flawless—few, if any, albums are—but, judging by the avalanche of five star-reviews in the Booth (not to mention the Gold certification), there were plenty of listeners willing to look past its minute flaws and see it for the brilliant piece of work it was. On the project’s latest single, the North Carolina spitter espouses a similar philosophy toward romantic love, assuring a special girl, “Nobody’s Perfect... but you’re perfect for me.” As usual, the Roc Nation standard-bearer handles production as well as mic duties, slicing and dicing a guitar riff from Curtis Mayfield instrumental Think into a tender yet bass-booming backdrop for rhymes dedicated to a girl he loves regardless of what the gossip-hounds might say (“I heard stories about different dudes, her man on campus, but it’s fine by me.”). Veteran emcee/songwriter/producer Missy Elliot plays the female lead, tying the record together with a cozy, understated chorus. Still haven’t picked up a copy of Cole’s latest full-length, Cole World: Sideline Story? Then drop whatever you’re doing and make a trip to your local record store—or, if you need further convincing, check out our very own Nathan S.’ review of the album.
Written by richard on 12/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.