When J. Cole stepped into the Booth for an interview with our very own DJ Z way back in 2009, he admitted to racking up such a huge bill at Verizon that he had to switch over to Sprint. Not because he couldn’t pay per se, but because he didn’t want to make it easy on them, given that they’d refused to work with him when he was broke. As the emcee’s bank acount has grown, he’s retained that pridefully defiant attitude toward his success, as evidenced by the latest song release off his sophomore set. On N*ggaz Know, Cole reminds us that he went from typical, debt-ridden college grad to a caked-up hip-hop heavyweight simply on the strength of his million-dollar flow. As usual, he handles production as well as mic duties, building the record’s soulful beat around a unique stop-start percussion rhythm. Fans will be able to find this joint, reader-aclaimed single Power Trip and much more on Cole’s Born Sinner LP, set to drop June 18, via Roc Nation Columbia. Click here to pre-order the set on iTunes.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!