When J. Cole stepped into the Booth for an interview with our very own DJ Z way back in 2009, he admitted to racking up such a huge bill at Verizon that he had to switch over to Sprint. Not because he couldn’t pay per se, but because he didn’t want to make it easy on them, given that they’d refused to work with him when he was broke. As the emcee’s bank acount has grown, he’s retained that pridefully defiant attitude toward his success, as evidenced by the latest song release off his sophomore set. On N*ggaz Know, Cole reminds us that he went from typical, debt-ridden college grad to a caked-up hip-hop heavyweight simply on the strength of his million-dollar flow. As usual, he handles production as well as mic duties, building the record’s soulful beat around a unique stop-start percussion rhythm. Fans will be able to find this joint, reader-aclaimed single Power Trip and much more on Cole’s Born Sinner LP, set to drop June 18, via Roc Nation Columbia. Click here to pre-order the set on iTunes.
Written by richard on 05/31/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.