In a world where seemingly everything is “highly anticipated,” we can truly say that J. Cole’s collaboration with his Roc Nation boss Jay-Z is highly anticipated. Ever since the NC rap protégé signed with the almighty Hova we knew this day would come, and when it did we expected it to feel less like a single and more like a passing of the torch. Well DJBooth Nation, now that Mr. Nice Watch is here, is it everything you hoped for? Like most of his material, Nice Watch is a self-produced affair, alternating between a high octane synth line and a more organic, piano laced chorus (shades of Kanye’s work on WTT?). On the mic Cole, if you couldn’t guess by the title, is at his most swagger fueled, vowing that his Mr. Nice Guy persona’s been replaced by, you guessed it, a more success hungry Mr. Nice Watch – a persona that Beyonce’s baby daddy is sure to remind us he’s already cultivated in his guest verse. The (actually) highly anticipated album Cole World: The Sideline Story drops on September 27. Until then, I’m going to kick back and enjoy the inevitable brewing in the comments below, starting in 5, 4, 3………
Written by Nathan S. on 09/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)