In a world where seemingly everything is “highly anticipated,” we can truly say that J. Cole’s collaboration with his Roc Nation boss Jay-Z is highly anticipated. Ever since the NC rap protégé signed with the almighty Hova we knew this day would come, and when it did we expected it to feel less like a single and more like a passing of the torch. Well DJBooth Nation, now that Mr. Nice Watch is here, is it everything you hoped for? Like most of his material, Nice Watch is a self-produced affair, alternating between a high octane synth line and a more organic, piano laced chorus (shades of Kanye’s work on WTT?). On the mic Cole, if you couldn’t guess by the title, is at his most swagger fueled, vowing that his Mr. Nice Guy persona’s been replaced by, you guessed it, a more success hungry Mr. Nice Watch – a persona that Beyonce’s baby daddy is sure to remind us he’s already cultivated in his guest verse. The (actually) highly anticipated album Cole World: The Sideline Story drops on September 27. Until then, I’m going to kick back and enjoy the inevitable brewing in the comments below, starting in 5, 4, 3………
Written by Nathan S. on 09/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.