In a world where seemingly everything is “highly anticipated,” we can truly say that J. Cole’s collaboration with his Roc Nation boss Jay-Z is highly anticipated. Ever since the NC rap protégé signed with the almighty Hova we knew this day would come, and when it did we expected it to feel less like a single and more like a passing of the torch. Well DJBooth Nation, now that Mr. Nice Watch is here, is it everything you hoped for? Like most of his material, Nice Watch is a self-produced affair, alternating between a high octane synth line and a more organic, piano laced chorus (shades of Kanye’s work on WTT?). On the mic Cole, if you couldn’t guess by the title, is at his most swagger fueled, vowing that his Mr. Nice Guy persona’s been replaced by, you guessed it, a more success hungry Mr. Nice Watch – a persona that Beyonce’s baby daddy is sure to remind us he’s already cultivated in his guest verse. The (actually) highly anticipated album Cole World: The Sideline Story drops on September 27. Until then, I’m going to kick back and enjoy the inevitable brewing in the comments below, starting in 5, 4, 3………
Written by Nathan S. on 09/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.