In a world where seemingly everything is “highly anticipated,” we can truly say that J. Cole’s collaboration with his Roc Nation boss Jay-Z is highly anticipated. Ever since the NC rap protégé signed with the almighty Hova we knew this day would come, and when it did we expected it to feel less like a single and more like a passing of the torch. Well DJBooth Nation, now that Mr. Nice Watch is here, is it everything you hoped for? Like most of his material, Nice Watch is a self-produced affair, alternating between a high octane synth line and a more organic, piano laced chorus (shades of Kanye’s work on WTT?). On the mic Cole, if you couldn’t guess by the title, is at his most swagger fueled, vowing that his Mr. Nice Guy persona’s been replaced by, you guessed it, a more success hungry Mr. Nice Watch – a persona that Beyonce’s baby daddy is sure to remind us he’s already cultivated in his guest verse. The (actually) highly anticipated album Cole World: The Sideline Story drops on September 27. Until then, I’m going to kick back and enjoy the inevitable brewing in the comments below, starting in 5, 4, 3………
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.