Last year around this time, N. Carolina emcee J. Cole jolted the hip-hop community with his electrifying mixtape The Warm Up. Today, he is one of the most anticipated rap acts in the country, a RocNation signee with a reputation for outstanding lyrics. As a token of his appreciation for his fans’ support, Cole has delivered a thank you in the form of a freestyle over Dirty Money’s Angels instrumental. Produced by hit-maker Rob Holladay, this beat has been a favorite amongst emcees, but I think Cole has given us one of the best renditions yet (though Lupe’s version might go a little harder). I usually would go on about how he could have done XY and Z to make this better, but J. Cole’s flow and delivery are so well-timed and flawless on this one that the freestyle speaks for itself with lines like: “My Way like a Usher song/higher power where these verses from/you ni**as hos, put your purses on/Church, get your worship on/ born alone, work alone, die alone/ hot fire like Dylan/ bitches get they dial on/ fake niggas get dial tones.” Enough said.
Listen to More: J. Cole
Written by Quentin Cuff on 06/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.