If you were to replace the entire population of Philadelphia with J. Cole‘s Twitter followers, you’d still have enough left over to fill my city of residence (Minneapolis) and then some. That, my friends, is a lot of f**king followers. To celebrate breaking two million, the Best Emcee of 2011 has leaked a new record of appropriately epic proportions. On Grew Up Fast, Canei Finch‘s soulful boardwork (sampled from David Ruffin’s Double Cross) bangs in the back as the emcee takes a lyrical victory lap. When he’s not exulting in his own rise from the bottom, the artist turns his attention to the competition, taunting his rivals in bars as brutal as they are hilarious: “OK, you a killer—right, and Miss Cleo’s Jamaican / And Bob Marley is Haitian, and me and Beyoncé datin’ / And Jesus Christ be hatin, got mad love from Satan.” Needless to say, Cole’s swag is palpable—and, in light of his achievements, well-justified. Though this joint is just a one-off release, the one or two of y’all who haven’t already copped it can hear more on Cole World: The Sideline Story (featuring Booth-charting hit Nobody’s Perfect), available wherever fine music is sold.
Written by richard on 02/22/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)