If you were to replace the entire population of Philadelphia with J. Cole‘s Twitter followers, you’d still have enough left over to fill my city of residence (Minneapolis) and then some. That, my friends, is a lot of f**king followers. To celebrate breaking two million, the Best Emcee of 2011 has leaked a new record of appropriately epic proportions. On Grew Up Fast, Canei Finch‘s soulful boardwork (sampled from David Ruffin’s Double Cross) bangs in the back as the emcee takes a lyrical victory lap. When he’s not exulting in his own rise from the bottom, the artist turns his attention to the competition, taunting his rivals in bars as brutal as they are hilarious: “OK, you a killer—right, and Miss Cleo’s Jamaican / And Bob Marley is Haitian, and me and Beyoncé datin’ / And Jesus Christ be hatin, got mad love from Satan.” Needless to say, Cole’s swag is palpable—and, in light of his achievements, well-justified. Though this joint is just a one-off release, the one or two of y’all who haven’t already copped it can hear more on Cole World: The Sideline Story (featuring Booth-charting hit Nobody’s Perfect), available wherever fine music is sold.
Written by richard on 02/22/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.