If you were to replace the entire population of Philadelphia with J. Cole‘s Twitter followers, you’d still have enough left over to fill my city of residence (Minneapolis) and then some. That, my friends, is a lot of f**king followers. To celebrate breaking two million, the Best Emcee of 2011 has leaked a new record of appropriately epic proportions. On Grew Up Fast, Canei Finch‘s soulful boardwork (sampled from David Ruffin’s Double Cross) bangs in the back as the emcee takes a lyrical victory lap. When he’s not exulting in his own rise from the bottom, the artist turns his attention to the competition, taunting his rivals in bars as brutal as they are hilarious: “OK, you a killer—right, and Miss Cleo’s Jamaican / And Bob Marley is Haitian, and me and Beyoncé datin’ / And Jesus Christ be hatin, got mad love from Satan.” Needless to say, Cole’s swag is palpable—and, in light of his achievements, well-justified. Though this joint is just a one-off release, the one or two of y’all who haven’t already copped it can hear more on Cole World: The Sideline Story (featuring Booth-charting hit Nobody’s Perfect), available wherever fine music is sold.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.