Exactly three hundred sixty five days ago yesterday, J. Cole unleashed blockbuster debut album Cole World: The Sideline Story upon the listening populace, silencing his myriad doubters and cementing his heavyweight status in one fell swoop. To celebrate the set’s first birthday, the Carolina rapper/producer’s jumped on Major Lazer‘s most recent single for a brand new freestyle. In addition to revisiting his vertiginous rise to fame and reflecting on the evolution of his art over Diplo‘s laid-back Caribbean grooves (accompanied by guest vocals from original featuree Amber Coffman), Cole takes some time out to vent his frustrations with the political system: “I’m smellin’ bullsh*t, it must be an election year / The more I listen man, the more you sound less sincere…” This Twitter-released cut isn’t attached to any forthcoming project but, in conjunction with the recent arrival of promo single I’m a Fool, it might be an omen of big things to come. Whatever the case may be, you can keep it locked to The DJBooth for all the latest.
Written by richard on 09/28/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.