North Carolina’s homegrown talent J. Cole might just be the Sidney Crosby of the rap game. Before he laced up his skates for his first NHL game Crosby was dubbed “The Next One,” drawing comparisons to former greats like Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux. Even if Crosby were to average an impressive 30 goals per season over 10 years in the league, he would undoubtedly still face criticism for falling short of the colossal expectations that were (unfairly) placed on his shoulders. Similarly, when Cole releases a good but not great record, like debut single Work Out for example, fans are quick to jump all over the Roc Nation phenom. However, when he (officially) releases a song like Can’t Get Enough everyone is immediately reminded of why we compared him to some of the greats in the first place. Produced by Brian Kidd, Enough is based around an extremely dope sample from dance-music orchestra Balla et ses Balladins’ song Paulette and a radio-ready hook from Trey Songz. Sticking with a hockey theme (pun intended), word to J. Cole for an Alexander Ovechkin punchline that many of my fellow Canadians will recycle for months to come. As you probably already know, Cole’s debut album Cole World: The Sideline Story is (finally) set for release on September 27.
Written by Dillon White on 09/5/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.