J.Cole is simply on fire right now. Already co-signed/actually signed by Jay-Z, coasting with his first single Who Dat on the charts, and all before his first album has even dropped, Cole certainly seems like the next big thing in hip-hop. As the growing fan base of the Fayetteville emcee anxiously awaits his as-yet untitled album (hopefully arriving this fall), Cole has delivered something to pacify the waiting hordes with brand new song Blow Up. Produced by Cole himself, Blow Up is further proof that the young man can not only spit, but he can work the boards just as well. As far as Cole’s lyricism is concerned, in my opinion, he can get a little lazy at times here at times. With lines like, “And Gary Coleman just died…life is short,” the verse doesn’t match the intensity of the hook, and falls short of the killer edge that’d you’d expect from a song with a title like Blow Up. However, the Roc Nation sensation does flow hard, and ultimately this record should only earn him more respect, as should his exclusive video Lollapalooza interview with DJBooth, coming soon.
Written by JRTheWriter on 08/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.