J.Cole is simply on fire right now. Already co-signed/actually signed by Jay-Z, coasting with his first single Who Dat on the charts, and all before his first album has even dropped, Cole certainly seems like the next big thing in hip-hop. As the growing fan base of the Fayetteville emcee anxiously awaits his as-yet untitled album (hopefully arriving this fall), Cole has delivered something to pacify the waiting hordes with brand new song Blow Up. Produced by Cole himself, Blow Up is further proof that the young man can not only spit, but he can work the boards just as well. As far as Cole’s lyricism is concerned, in my opinion, he can get a little lazy at times here at times. With lines like, “And Gary Coleman just died…life is short,” the verse doesn’t match the intensity of the hook, and falls short of the killer edge that’d you’d expect from a song with a title like Blow Up. However, the Roc Nation sensation does flow hard, and ultimately this record should only earn him more respect, as should his exclusive video Lollapalooza interview with DJBooth, coming soon.
Written by JRTheWriter on 08/17/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.