No matter how much praise J. Cole receives from his peers, how many verses he bodies on a weekly basis (ex. Looking for Trouble), or how having Hova and Roc Nation in his corner could go to his head, he still rhymes like the hungriest of MCs. I’ve yet to hear a verse that made me think “wow, he really slacked off there.” The first leak off of his upcoming and highly anticipated Friday Night Lights mixtape is no exception. On the self-produced Before I’m Gone, Cole lays down a simultaneously beautiful and hard beat and then walks us through his coming of age in Fayetteville, NC, while also addressing the misconceptions of him as the hometown rep, spittin’ “Them old n*ggas sayin’ ‘Cole the wrong one bringing the city shine/all he ever doing is paintin’ pictures of crime/tellin stories of pain, paintin’ pictures of dope’/ B*tch, if you listenin’, I’m paintin’ pictures of hope.” Friday Night Lights will be available, of course, this Friday, Nov. 12, and if Gone is any indication, it’ll definitely be a Cole World when his debut album (hopefully) drops early next year.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 11/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.