Last week, Ferguson, Missouri teen Michael Brown was shot to death by an anonymous police officer, apparently for little more than jaywalking. The incident sparked off an ongoing series of clashes between protesters and a militarized police force, leading many to wonder how far America had truly advanced since the pre-Civil Rights era. Shaken by these events, rap heavyweight J. Cole expresses his grief and anger on newly-released promo cut Be Free. Over a self-produced instrumental laced with topical news clips, the Roc Nation emcee/beatsmith foregoes rapping in favor of a sung delivery that’s as raw as it is emotionally powerful. This bracing joint is just a loosie but, as always, we’ll keep you supplied with the latest from J. Cole.
Written by richard on 08/15/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Grown Simba" (2009)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.