There are many in the rap game who, like the grasshopper in Aesop’s famous fable, prefer fronting, stunting and flossing to making the necessary preparations for the future – y’know, the ones who end up filing for bankruptcy down the line. By contrast, Booth newcomer J. Billion shares the work ethic of the industrious, ever-hustling ant. On his latest single, making its world premiere on our front page, the Bay Area repper shakes his head at those not sufficiently devoted to the grind, advising them: “You better Get Up, get down and get something.” With MVMNT compatriot Rel‘s stark, bass-bumping organ groove as his backdrop, the emcee gives “weak cats” an object lesson in getting one’s cake up, reminding them that each bottle they pop at the local spot represents time and paper lost. Guest emcee Enoch echoes the headliner’s sentiment on the back, emphasizing the pleasures one can enjoy after a little hard work. Like what you’re hearing? For more fresh records to soundtrack your paper chase, check out J. and Rel’s MVMNT LP when it drops May 17.
Written by richard on 04/18/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)