When I first started taking hip-hop seriously in the summer of ‘03, almost every album went platinum, sports jerseys were the fasion trend du jour, and Ja Rule was arguably the most popular MC in the game. Sometimes, such change is good—other times, as Borat would say, “not so much”. On the newest buzz single off his debut album, , Izza Kizza reflects on a few changes of the latter type, listing gay marriage, high gas prices, and the swine flu as a few signs of the times that have him Runnin’. Ethered-MC-turned-successful-producer Kwame backs the track with chopped samples from Otis Redding’s classic rendition of Change Gonna Come, letting the soul giant talk to ‘em in lieu of a third verse. We can only hope this track will have label execs at Decon Runnin’ to give Izza some much-needed promotion for the February 10 release of his Saturday Morning LP.
Listen to More: Izza Kizza
Written by Burmy on 09/2/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They're Everywhere" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.