After a few listens to Izza Kizza‘s Connect the Dots, I’m beginning to think the mixtape cut’s title was meant as a challenge; delivering a relentless stream of deadpan punchlines peppered with whacked-out tangents like “Astronauts never knew gravity like this/ My appetizer sits upon a satellite dish/ My entrée—bombs away!” the emcee seems dead set on defying interpretation. In any case, the ATL native can toss a mean word salad, and his monotone delivery meshes well with the spacey feel of frequent collaborator Koolaide‘s lurching, synth-heavy instrumental. Complete with a catchy hook by Booth-acclaimed singer-songwriter Colin Munroe, this record will be music to the ears of listeners willing to go with its free-association flow; if you fall into that camp, simply follow the yellow brick road—I mean, grab a copy of Kizza’s The Wizard of Iz mixtape, which is set to deliver plenty more left-of-center bangers when it hits the ‘net this Wednesday.
Written by richard on 04/27/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"They're Everywhere" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.