Rappers are quick to proclaim themselves dyed-in-the-wool players, but few are truly immune to the allure of love and marriage. Mobile, Alabama-repping newcomer Its BJ, for example, has been struggling lately to reconcile his self-image as a pimp with the Feelings he’s developing for a certain woman—and judging by this newly-released mixtape single, his emotional side is winning out. In an attempt to rationalize the self-contradiction away, he references Shawn Carter‘s transformation from unrepentant womanizer to devoted husband and father: “I don’t give a damn about a hoe… well, man, even Jigga lied / ‘Cause lately I’ve dreamin’ ‘bout a Beyoncé.” To accompany his ambivalent rhymes, Nu Religion turns in a simple, yet effective instrumental built around a jazzy set of guitar chords. Racing Thoughts has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll be sure to keep you posted on the set as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/28/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.