Rappers are quick to proclaim themselves dyed-in-the-wool players, but few are truly immune to the allure of love and marriage. Mobile, Alabama-repping newcomer Its BJ, for example, has been struggling lately to reconcile his self-image as a pimp with the Feelings he’s developing for a certain woman—and judging by this newly-released mixtape single, his emotional side is winning out. In an attempt to rationalize the self-contradiction away, he references Shawn Carter‘s transformation from unrepentant womanizer to devoted husband and father: “I don’t give a damn about a hoe… well, man, even Jigga lied / ‘Cause lately I’ve dreamin’ ‘bout a Beyoncé.” To accompany his ambivalent rhymes, Nu Religion turns in a simple, yet effective instrumental built around a jazzy set of guitar chords. Racing Thoughts has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll be sure to keep you posted on the set as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/28/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)