It ain’t just Isaiah Rashad‘s skills that set him apart from the competition. His priorities, too, are different from the usual. In the opening bars of his latest single, the TDE signee quotes Master P, spitting, “Y’all live for b**tches and blunts, we live for weed and money.” Dedicated to the aforementioned rap legend’s younger brother, who was shot to death in a 1995 robbery, RIP Kevin Miller is a blunted throwback to an era when, “Percy was the king, back when Juvy was the great.” Black Metaphor mixes the retro and the contemporary on the production tip, backing Isaiah’s brash verses with dreamy piano loops and clicking hi-hats. RIP Kevin Miller will be featured, along with previous single Brad Jordan, on Isaiah Rashad’s #Cilvia LP. The project currently lacks a drop date, but fans can, of course, keep it locked to The DJBooth for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 01/15/14
A splash of modern rap combined with vintage sounds and styles has proven to be a reliably successful, although difficult to execute, strategy in hip-hop, a genre deeply rooted in nostalgia. Mix an old automobile (say, a 1993...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.