With the ‘80s nostalgia currently sweeping the urban music scene, could it be time for the Jheri curl to make its big comeback? Uh, maybe not… thanks in part to the famous Soul Glo spoof from Eddie Murphy’s ‘88 blockbuster Coming to America (recently seen in 50 Cent‘s “Pimpin’ Curly” video), it will probably be a very long while before the high-maintenance hairstyle comes full circle from “pop-culture punchline” to “legitimate fashion statement.” On Incyte‘s first Booth feature, the Pittsburgh emcee flips that memorable parody into a tribute to a female who glows with an inner beauty evident to everyone except her unappreciative man. While Sound Boro‘s hilariously catchy Chipmunk-pitched sample is bound to attract the lion’s share of reader attention, the Steel City emcee’s earnest rhymes shine equally brightly—unlike the fictional hair-care product from which this track takes its name, his game-spitting is silky-smooth without being slicked-up or greasy. Sure to induce head-bobbing and a few belly laughs, this track can be found on Incyte’s Deejay Deez-hosted Cyte Beyond Sight mixtape, available now online.
Written by richard on 08/30/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.