With the ‘80s nostalgia currently sweeping the urban music scene, could it be time for the Jheri curl to make its big comeback? Uh, maybe not… thanks in part to the famous Soul Glo spoof from Eddie Murphy’s ‘88 blockbuster Coming to America (recently seen in 50 Cent‘s “Pimpin’ Curly” video), it will probably be a very long while before the high-maintenance hairstyle comes full circle from “pop-culture punchline” to “legitimate fashion statement.” On Incyte‘s first Booth feature, the Pittsburgh emcee flips that memorable parody into a tribute to a female who glows with an inner beauty evident to everyone except her unappreciative man. While Sound Boro‘s hilariously catchy Chipmunk-pitched sample is bound to attract the lion’s share of reader attention, the Steel City emcee’s earnest rhymes shine equally brightly—unlike the fictional hair-care product from which this track takes its name, his game-spitting is silky-smooth without being slicked-up or greasy. Sure to induce head-bobbing and a few belly laughs, this track can be found on Incyte’s Deejay Deez-hosted Cyte Beyond Sight mixtape, available now online.
Listen to More: Incyte
Written by richard on 08/30/09
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.