With the ‘80s nostalgia currently sweeping the urban music scene, could it be time for the Jheri curl to make its big comeback? Uh, maybe not… thanks in part to the famous Soul Glo spoof from Eddie Murphy’s ‘88 blockbuster Coming to America (recently seen in 50 Cent‘s “Pimpin’ Curly” video), it will probably be a very long while before the high-maintenance hairstyle comes full circle from “pop-culture punchline” to “legitimate fashion statement.” On Incyte‘s first Booth feature, the Pittsburgh emcee flips that memorable parody into a tribute to a female who glows with an inner beauty evident to everyone except her unappreciative man. While Sound Boro‘s hilariously catchy Chipmunk-pitched sample is bound to attract the lion’s share of reader attention, the Steel City emcee’s earnest rhymes shine equally brightly—unlike the fictional hair-care product from which this track takes its name, his game-spitting is silky-smooth without being slicked-up or greasy. Sure to induce head-bobbing and a few belly laughs, this track can be found on Incyte’s Deejay Deez-hosted Cyte Beyond Sight mixtape, available now online.
Listen to More: Incyte Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.