While hard-won ‘hood wisdom is still highly valued, today’s game is growing increasingly hospitable to rappers who proudly display both book-learning and street smarts. A hip-hop brainiac with a literary bent (just check the stage name), The Incomparable Shakespeare poses a tongue-in-cheek question to the industry on the latest buzz single in his RefinedHype-sponsored New Music Tuesdays series: “How do you market a rapper with a 4.0?” Over Graphic‘s cheery mix of horns, strings, and bouncy percussion, the Brooklynite answers his own question, demonstrating that you don’t need ignorant rhymes or gangsta stereotypes to keep heads entertained – engaging flows and witty lyrics are equally effective. Though Shake’s overall tone is likably self-deprecating, he doesn’t hesitate to put doubters in their place: “I think your perspective’s foolish, if you don’t really think I’m the best to do this.” Agree with the emcee’s assessment? Then you’ll definitely want to check back with RefinedHype next Tuesday, when he premieres another brand new joint. And, if you haven’t already, why not take a listen to his Booth-sponsored British Invasion mixtape?
Written by richard on 10/6/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New York Swagger" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.