While hard-won ‘hood wisdom is still highly valued, today’s game is growing increasingly hospitable to rappers who proudly display both book-learning and street smarts. A hip-hop brainiac with a literary bent (just check the stage name), The Incomparable Shakespeare poses a tongue-in-cheek question to the industry on the latest buzz single in his RefinedHype-sponsored New Music Tuesdays series: “How do you market a rapper with a 4.0?” Over Graphic‘s cheery mix of horns, strings, and bouncy percussion, the Brooklynite answers his own question, demonstrating that you don’t need ignorant rhymes or gangsta stereotypes to keep heads entertained – engaging flows and witty lyrics are equally effective. Though Shake’s overall tone is likably self-deprecating, he doesn’t hesitate to put doubters in their place: “I think your perspective’s foolish, if you don’t really think I’m the best to do this.” Agree with the emcee’s assessment? Then you’ll definitely want to check back with RefinedHype next Tuesday, when he premieres another brand new joint. And, if you haven’t already, why not take a listen to his Booth-sponsored British Invasion mixtape?
Written by richard on 10/6/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"New York Swagger" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)