Immortal Technique is so revolutionary he makes dead prez look like Ray-J, Talib Kweli look like Flo-Rida and Lupe Fiasco look like Shawty Lo. Ok, so that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point; Immortal takes his music very seriously, so seriously in fact that he’s earned the right to dip into J. Dilla’s vault and pull out a beat from the legendary producer for his new aptly-titled release Toast to the Dead. In trademark fashion JD’s beat is deceptively complex; at first it sounds minimalistic but closer listens reveal subtle layer after layer of sound. With additional turntable work provided by DJ Green Lantern setting the stage, Technique steps to the mic with more of his typically emotional rhymes, raising a metaphorical glass to everyone that’s passed, from DJ Roc Raida to slaves murdered centuries ago: “F**k a moment of silence I need a moment of violence / like the 19th century Caribbean islands.” Toast is the first release from Immortal’s upcoming and currently unscheduled The Martyr project, which will kick off a year-long tour. Consider yourself warned.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/20/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The 3rd World" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.