Immortal Technique is so revolutionary he makes dead prez look like Ray-J, Talib Kweli look like Flo-Rida and Lupe Fiasco look like Shawty Lo. Ok, so that’s a bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point; Immortal takes his music very seriously, so seriously in fact that he’s earned the right to dip into J. Dilla’s vault and pull out a beat from the legendary producer for his new aptly-titled release Toast to the Dead. In trademark fashion JD’s beat is deceptively complex; at first it sounds minimalistic but closer listens reveal subtle layer after layer of sound. With additional turntable work provided by DJ Green Lantern setting the stage, Technique steps to the mic with more of his typically emotional rhymes, raising a metaphorical glass to everyone that’s passed, from DJ Roc Raida to slaves murdered centuries ago: “F**k a moment of silence I need a moment of violence / like the 19th century Caribbean islands.” Toast is the first release from Immortal’s upcoming and currently unscheduled The Martyr project, which will kick off a year-long tour. Consider yourself warned.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/20/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The 3rd World" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.