With an uncanny knack for flipping eclectic samples into heartfelt, genre-blending jams that are nonetheless hip-hop through and through, Booth-approved up-and-comer The ILLZ has trained his fans to expect the unexpected – and on his latest feature, newly-leaked off Reupspot‘s New Slang compilation mixtape, he faithfully delivers just that. Come In finds the multi-talented Jersey native lacing a woozy synth groove borrowed from N.Y. electronic group Passion Pit’s Swimming in the Flood with characteristically impassioned rhymes, expressing his regret that life on the road separates him from his girl: “And I know, even though I’ve gotta go, for the time I’m away every second I will miss her…”“ This sweeping jam, along with K. Sparks’ Rock the Party and BOOGNIGHTS’ Cheers!, can be found on New Slang, released this past Tuesday and out now online. For more of the ILLZ’ emotionally-charged brand of underground hip-hop, check out his Booth-sponsored The Pursuit LP, available for download here.
Written by richard on 01/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.