Sick of the same old, same old, but can’t afford a trip overseas at the moment? I feel you – and, as luck may have it, I’ve got something that’ll do wonders for your headstate. On their latest single (and first Booth feature), the Illvibe Collective step into the role of “African Medicine Men,” ready with a natural remedy for whatever may ail you. Appropriately, the Philly-based DJ/producer crew go for a sunny Afrobeat-influenced feel on this cut, blending brass, body-moving bass and heavily syncopated percussion into a uniquely fresh instrumental backdrop – complete with one of the freshest guitar solos I’ve encountered in a hip-hop record. Ghanaian-born emcee M’anifest and Uganda-bred partner-in-rhyme Krukid, together known as A.R.M. (African Rebel Movement), handle mic duties, lacing the beat with bars as playfully allusive as they are globally-minded “Vibe so ill you like ‘Pon the Replay!’, we get it in from the Gold Coast of EA, Mogadishu back to the Bronx and B.K.” Like what you’re hearing? More globetrotting grooves and hot guest features await on the Collective’s debut full-length, All Together Now, set to drop March 29.
Written by richard on 03/14/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.