Damn—seems like everyone in the Booth wants a hand today. Of course, whereas Carolina representative J. Gunn was looking for a standing ovation or four on his first feature, Illogic simply wants you to Clap Ya Hands to the beat as he commits mic murder. Off Year 8076, a full-length Walter Rocktight collaboration originally scheduled to drop in 2005-06 but shelved for personal reasons, this fresh single selection finds Ill showcasing his diabolical pen game in a more party-ready atmosphere. Backed by the underground beatsmith’s tension-fraught piano arpeggios, syncopated percussion and (of course) copious handclaps, the veteran emcee buries his adversaries in verses as aggressive as they are erudite: “We can go verses or poems, abstract or straight-up, gospel raps or BET Uncut / Fast and slow, no matter the genre, I’ma bomb ‘ya shatterin’ glass jaws for y’all chatterin’.” Though he claims to be holding the room hostage, the fire he spits here should ensure he has a captive audience of hardcore heads—threats of violence or not. For more banging beats and tightly-wound rhymes, check out the collaborators’ “lost album” when it hits store shelves and online retailers September 6.
Listen to More: Illogic
Written by richard on 09/1/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let's Go" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.