Damn—seems like everyone in the Booth wants a hand today. Of course, whereas Carolina representative J. Gunn was looking for a standing ovation or four on his first feature, Illogic simply wants you to Clap Ya Hands to the beat as he commits mic murder. Off Year 8076, a full-length Walter Rocktight collaboration originally scheduled to drop in 2005-06 but shelved for personal reasons, this fresh single selection finds Ill showcasing his diabolical pen game in a more party-ready atmosphere. Backed by the underground beatsmith’s tension-fraught piano arpeggios, syncopated percussion and (of course) copious handclaps, the veteran emcee buries his adversaries in verses as aggressive as they are erudite: “We can go verses or poems, abstract or straight-up, gospel raps or BET Uncut / Fast and slow, no matter the genre, I’ma bomb ‘ya shatterin’ glass jaws for y’all chatterin’.” Though he claims to be holding the room hostage, the fire he spits here should ensure he has a captive audience of hardcore heads—threats of violence or not. For more banging beats and tightly-wound rhymes, check out the collaborators’ “lost album” when it hits store shelves and online retailers September 6.
Listen to More: Illogic
Written by richard on 09/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let's Go" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.