Damn—seems like everyone in the Booth wants a hand today. Of course, whereas Carolina representative J. Gunn was looking for a standing ovation or four on his first feature, Illogic simply wants you to Clap Ya Hands to the beat as he commits mic murder. Off Year 8076, a full-length Walter Rocktight collaboration originally scheduled to drop in 2005-06 but shelved for personal reasons, this fresh single selection finds Ill showcasing his diabolical pen game in a more party-ready atmosphere. Backed by the underground beatsmith’s tension-fraught piano arpeggios, syncopated percussion and (of course) copious handclaps, the veteran emcee buries his adversaries in verses as aggressive as they are erudite: “We can go verses or poems, abstract or straight-up, gospel raps or BET Uncut / Fast and slow, no matter the genre, I’ma bomb ‘ya shatterin’ glass jaws for y’all chatterin’.” Though he claims to be holding the room hostage, the fire he spits here should ensure he has a captive audience of hardcore heads—threats of violence or not. For more banging beats and tightly-wound rhymes, check out the collaborators’ “lost album” when it hits store shelves and online retailers September 6.
Written by richard on 09/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let's Go" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.