Damn—seems like everyone in the Booth wants a hand today. Of course, whereas Carolina representative J. Gunn was looking for a standing ovation or four on his first feature, Illogic simply wants you to Clap Ya Hands to the beat as he commits mic murder. Off Year 8076, a full-length Walter Rocktight collaboration originally scheduled to drop in 2005-06 but shelved for personal reasons, this fresh single selection finds Ill showcasing his diabolical pen game in a more party-ready atmosphere. Backed by the underground beatsmith’s tension-fraught piano arpeggios, syncopated percussion and (of course) copious handclaps, the veteran emcee buries his adversaries in verses as aggressive as they are erudite: “We can go verses or poems, abstract or straight-up, gospel raps or BET Uncut / Fast and slow, no matter the genre, I’ma bomb ‘ya shatterin’ glass jaws for y’all chatterin’.” Though he claims to be holding the room hostage, the fire he spits here should ensure he has a captive audience of hardcore heads—threats of violence or not. For more banging beats and tightly-wound rhymes, check out the collaborators’ “lost album” when it hits store shelves and online retailers September 6.
Written by richard on 09/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let's Go" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.