Yesterday, Pharrell Willams released his highly-anticipated sophomore solo album. To celebrate its arrival, Booth-acclaimed beatsmith !llmind has put his own spin on the set’s ubiquitous, Grammy-winning lead single, Happy. Whereas the original was upbeat and breezy, the Rose Tint BoomTrap Remix is a bit heavier on its feet. Pharrell’s exuberant vocals and production get tweaked, stretched, sliced and diced over a bed of ominous synth arpeggios, sirens, sizzling hi-hats and bubble-popping sound effects. The beat restlessly shifts rhythms until the outro, when it settles into a pleasantly wavy synth/sample groove. This promo single isn’t attached to any larger project, but fans can find the album version on G I R L, which is out now via Columbia. Later this month, !llmind will be the first subject in our new interview series, Behind the Boards.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It Up" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.