Yesterday, Pharrell Willams released his highly-anticipated sophomore solo album. To celebrate its arrival, Booth-acclaimed beatsmith !llmind has put his own spin on the set’s ubiquitous, Grammy-winning lead single, Happy. Whereas the original was upbeat and breezy, the Rose Tint BoomTrap Remix is a bit heavier on its feet. Pharrell’s exuberant vocals and production get tweaked, stretched, sliced and diced over a bed of ominous synth arpeggios, sirens, sizzling hi-hats and bubble-popping sound effects. The beat restlessly shifts rhythms until the outro, when it settles into a pleasantly wavy synth/sample groove. This promo single isn’t attached to any larger project, but fans can find the album version on G I R L, which is out now via Columbia. Later this month, !llmind will be the first subject in our new interview series, Behind the Boards.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It Up" (2007)
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.