Yesterday, Pharrell Willams released his highly-anticipated sophomore solo album. To celebrate its arrival, Booth-acclaimed beatsmith !llmind has put his own spin on the set’s ubiquitous, Grammy-winning lead single, Happy. Whereas the original was upbeat and breezy, the Rose Tint BoomTrap Remix is a bit heavier on its feet. Pharrell’s exuberant vocals and production get tweaked, stretched, sliced and diced over a bed of ominous synth arpeggios, sirens, sizzling hi-hats and bubble-popping sound effects. The beat restlessly shifts rhythms until the outro, when it settles into a pleasantly wavy synth/sample groove. This promo single isn’t attached to any larger project, but fans can find the album version on G I R L, which is out now via Columbia. Later this month, !llmind will be the first subject in our new interview series, Behind the Boards.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It Up" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.