Yesterday, Pharrell Willams released his highly-anticipated sophomore solo album. To celebrate its arrival, Booth-acclaimed beatsmith !llmind has put his own spin on the set’s ubiquitous, Grammy-winning lead single, Happy. Whereas the original was upbeat and breezy, the Rose Tint BoomTrap Remix is a bit heavier on its feet. Pharrell’s exuberant vocals and production get tweaked, stretched, sliced and diced over a bed of ominous synth arpeggios, sirens, sizzling hi-hats and bubble-popping sound effects. The beat restlessly shifts rhythms until the outro, when it settles into a pleasantly wavy synth/sample groove. This promo single isn’t attached to any larger project, but fans can find the album version on G I R L, which is out now via Columbia. Later this month, !llmind will be the first subject in our new interview series, Behind the Boards.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It Up" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.