Yesterday, Pharrell Willams released his highly-anticipated sophomore solo album. To celebrate its arrival, Booth-acclaimed beatsmith !llmind has put his own spin on the set’s ubiquitous, Grammy-winning lead single, Happy. Whereas the original was upbeat and breezy, the Rose Tint BoomTrap Remix is a bit heavier on its feet. Pharrell’s exuberant vocals and production get tweaked, stretched, sliced and diced over a bed of ominous synth arpeggios, sirens, sizzling hi-hats and bubble-popping sound effects. The beat restlessly shifts rhythms until the outro, when it settles into a pleasantly wavy synth/sample groove. This promo single isn’t attached to any larger project, but fans can find the album version on G I R L, which is out now via Columbia. Later this month, !llmind will be the first subject in our new interview series, Behind the Boards.
Written by richard on 03/5/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Give It Up" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.