While iLLA‘s work as one-half of How Did This Happen? duo Moxie Black was about partying first and women second, venturing out on his own seems to have inspired the Portland native to give his libido free rein. His solo Booth debut, Better, was all about the ladies, and on his latest offering (a DJBooth.net Exclusive!) he continues in the same vein, asking a special girl to be his Pop Star. Beatsmith Stewie Vuiton lives up to his punnily chic moniker behind the boards, delivering a smooth and sophisticated blend of reverb-soaked percussion and glossy synths as iLLA plies the female in question with luxury goods and pop-referential flattery (including a slick Mary J. Blige comparison). Newcomer Willis Brooks (aka YG, but not the Def Jam artist behind In tha Morning) handles guest duties, lacing the front with some colorfully blunted game-spitting of his own: “I got more mint jelly, lookin’ for that lamb chop…” Though this seductive cut isn’t set to appear on any forthcoming project, listeners digging it will be happy to hear that more Digital Romance is right around the corner; iLLa’s latest EP is scheduled for release in early 2011.
Written by richard on 12/9/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.