If you take bits and pieces of sturdy horns, melancholy harmonizing, common theory R&B subjects and add a mysterious fourth element, you’d have something at least in the same ballpark as iLLA’s Nothing Like. Driven by an electric horn selection and snares from producer Stewie Vuiton, one of the standout cuts from iLLA’s My True Romance EP finds the singer tinkering with Autotune for the kind of warbling that makes you appreciate the device’s best effects (when used properly, of course). iLLA, also known as one half of the duo Moxie Black, let’s his sweet talk reverberate with whimsical musings, stating in a matter of fact sing-song, “All the glamor in the world couldn’t replace you … all the diamonds in the world don’t shine like you.” It’s the kind of tingly sweet R&B mixed with just a hint of darkness that’s perfect for barbecue cookouts and late night strolls. Thanks to the power of iTunes, you can grab all of iLLA’s My True Romance EP right now and stockpile your R&B collection in attempts to woo that special someone. Good luck.
Written by Brando on 04/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.