If you take bits and pieces of sturdy horns, melancholy harmonizing, common theory R&B subjects and add a mysterious fourth element, you’d have something at least in the same ballpark as iLLA’s Nothing Like. Driven by an electric horn selection and snares from producer Stewie Vuiton, one of the standout cuts from iLLA’s My True Romance EP finds the singer tinkering with Autotune for the kind of warbling that makes you appreciate the device’s best effects (when used properly, of course). iLLA, also known as one half of the duo Moxie Black, let’s his sweet talk reverberate with whimsical musings, stating in a matter of fact sing-song, “All the glamor in the world couldn’t replace you … all the diamonds in the world don’t shine like you.” It’s the kind of tingly sweet R&B mixed with just a hint of darkness that’s perfect for barbecue cookouts and late night strolls. Thanks to the power of iTunes, you can grab all of iLLA’s My True Romance EP right now and stockpile your R&B collection in attempts to woo that special someone. Good luck.
Written by Brando on 04/17/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.