At this point, I think we’re all agreed that rumors of hip-hop’s death were greatly exaggerated. While the fact that the genre was alive and kicking all along calls into question the idea of a Rebirth (not to speak of the traumatic associations that title carries), it would be a shame to let logic hamper our enjoyment of music as dope as Star Time, the inaugural leak off producers Grant Parks and Vudu Spellz’ forthcoming street album. Making its world premiere in the Booth, this cut finds the latter beatsmith behind the boards, crafting an exotic chopped-sample backdrop for witty bars by four of Chi-town’s finest. In addition to freestyle series alumnus Pugs Atomz and the previously-featured Sulaiman, underground mainstay Ill Legit and Booth newcomer N.E.P.H.E.W. step up to the mic to to spit verses packed from top to bottom with clever wisecracks and vivid imagery. Which of these flame-spitters delivers the standout 16? That, of course, is for you to decide. Regardless, fans of Real MCs, Real Skills won’t want to miss the freshness in store on Parks & Spellz’ Booth-sponsored mixtape, scheduled to drop Feb. 15.
Written by richard on 01/24/11
Submit your Rating
CoalMine Music, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I'm Always High" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.