Normally, we avoid featuring an artist’s work if the production that they use is unoriginal (a “borrowed” industry instrumental). If we didn’t have this policy, our submissions inbox would be overly-spammed with freestyles over every new Drake or Kanye joint, making it harder for unique and original unsigned talent to get noticed. However, from time to time we make an exception. Case in point: Booth newcomer Ikey, whose bars, sprawled out across DJ Premier’s Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers beat, are so slick that we couldn’t help but give him a cover Green Card. The Maryland ambassador’s flow is highlighted by his supreme confidence, which is a blend of pointed-ness and casual charm. While his approach on the mic will get your head nodding, it is his wordplay that will have you saying “Damn!”. With lines like, “low salary got me conservative like Sean Hannity” and “mad ‘cuz I’m flyer than a Brooks Brothers mannequin,” it’s clear that the Nigerian emcee more than does justice to the Primo production. Fans who are eager to hear Ikey grace some original production should download his forthcoming project, The Green Card EP, which is set for release this May.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/1/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.