Normally, we avoid featuring an artist’s work if the production that they use is unoriginal (a “borrowed” industry instrumental). If we didn’t have this policy, our submissions inbox would be overly-spammed with freestyles over every new Drake or Kanye joint, making it harder for unique and original unsigned talent to get noticed. However, from time to time we make an exception. Case in point: Booth newcomer Ikey, whose bars, sprawled out across DJ Premier’s Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers beat, are so slick that we couldn’t help but give him a cover Green Card. The Maryland ambassador’s flow is highlighted by his supreme confidence, which is a blend of pointed-ness and casual charm. While his approach on the mic will get your head nodding, it is his wordplay that will have you saying “Damn!”. With lines like, “low salary got me conservative like Sean Hannity” and “mad ‘cuz I’m flyer than a Brooks Brothers mannequin,” it’s clear that the Nigerian emcee more than does justice to the Primo production. Fans who are eager to hear Ikey grace some original production should download his forthcoming project, The Green Card EP, which is set for release this May.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/1/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.