After an artist holds down a certain lane for so long, it can be nearly impossible to find acceptance in another lane of artistic expression. That’s why Talib Kweli, the visceral lyricist that got his start during The Backpack Era, created Idle Warship, a group with frequent collaborators Res and Graph Nobel. Simply, IW is a group that produces Black Eyed Peas-like material rather than the fundamental or soulful sound for which its members are all originally known. On brand new single System Addict, producer DJ Khalil taps the essence of a robot to create the song’s foundation. The record does feature Ms. #CookiesOrComas Jean Grae (does anybody else think she sounded a little like Nicki Minaj?) and Jay Knocka, but it most notably is missing a verse from Kweli himself. While Res is the primary focus, and she delivers the goods as she consistently does, the song feels a bit empty without counterpart Kweli. Regardless, we’ll have to wait and see if the hip-hop community will be open to an entire project of progressive hip-pop from Kweli’s Idle Warship when their currently untitled debut album drops later this year.
Written by JC Poppe on 06/27/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)