One of the Booth’s favorite trends in hip-hop is that of two or more veteran artists teaming up to form a supergroup (Expensive Taste, TGT, and CRS are three of the more popular examples). For this go-round, Talib Kweli has joined forces with Philly R&B singer Res and Toronto rapper Graph Nobel to form Idle Warship, and the group plans to release their debut album, Party Robot, sometime in 2009. Before that, the ‘Ship will release a self-titled mixtape featuring their debut single, Steady. Over a Sunglasses at Night-sampling beat, Talib, Res, and Graph just flow off the tops of their heads, and the result is a certified dancefloor hit. Steady is reminiscent of many of the tracks off Common‘s Universal Mind Control, and should be enjoyed in a similar mindset; while some might prefer deeper lyrics, you can’t help but admire the creative spark that went into the record.
Written by Burmy on 12/18/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Girls On The Dancefloor (Remix) " (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.