One of the Booth’s favorite trends in hip-hop is that of two or more veteran artists teaming up to form a supergroup (Expensive Taste, TGT, and CRS are three of the more popular examples). For this go-round, Talib Kweli has joined forces with Philly R&B singer Res and Toronto rapper Graph Nobel to form Idle Warship, and the group plans to release their debut album, Party Robot, sometime in 2009. Before that, the ‘Ship will release a self-titled mixtape featuring their debut single, Steady. Over a Sunglasses at Night-sampling beat, Talib, Res, and Graph just flow off the tops of their heads, and the result is a certified dancefloor hit. Steady is reminiscent of many of the tracks off Common‘s Universal Mind Control, and should be enjoyed in a similar mindset; while some might prefer deeper lyrics, you can’t help but admire the creative spark that went into the record.
Written by Burmy on 12/18/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Girls On The Dancefloor (Remix) " (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.