Though putting paper above all else is a longstanding tradition in the urban music game, recent news indicates that more and more people are becoming sick and tired of the Rat Race. Pop innovators with their fingers on the pulse of the national mood, Idle Warship have stepped up to the plate with an anthem for the disaffected. Farhot forgoes the club-hop vibes that characterized much of the group’s previous work in favor of a driving ‘80s-pop feel, layering sparkling synths and processed guitar riffs over a driving backbeat as singer Res invites all who feel the need for a change to “come to a place where there is light.” Talib Kweli echoes the sentiment on his brief rapped portion, championing personal freedom over the endless stress and struggle of the paper chase: “Rat race got you chasin’ that paper, you fresh / For the cake you give a pound of your flesh, race to your death. / I’m so free, say it wit me now, I do what I wanna.” Has this anthemic cut left you inspired to go out and make a difference? Fantastic—before you do that, though, click here to stream Idle Warship’s debut set, Habits of the Heart (not officially dropping till 11/1/11), on Spotify courtesy of DJBooth.net.
Written by richard on 10/13/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.